Sunday, January 25, 2015

Blog Post 2

1. The message of the video is to have activities and course material appropriate for your class. Lectures don't always get the point across. You need to have demonstrations and examples that the class can see. Don't hide behind the desk and be interactive with the class. The author puts emphasis on the students who are trying to figure out what the teacher is trying to get across. The students are not fully engaged in the class and at the end of the video they haven't learned anything. I agree with his conclusion because if the teacher is not properly prepared and doesn't have functional examples for the class to view and understand they are not going to retain anything the teacher has said. Especially if they just read straight from the power point. I had one professor read right off the notes and half the class nearly fell asleep.        

2.Roberts thinks it means that the material should be engaging and not so much entertaining . I feel that Roberts is right that teaching is changing . It is becoming more technology based. Teachers and students are using it more frequently than they used to. it will affect future educators by challenging them to use technology in their classrooms. For them to find ways to monitor the use of technology and apply restrictions to it in the class. Teachers will have to teach students how to understand what they read and how to find reliable resources. Teachers will have to find ways to keep the students engaged. 

Thesis: Teachers roles in students lives will become obsolete unless the methods of teaching evolve.
Main point 1: anyone can find any information at any time using the internet.
A. Finding out the validity of the information.
B.Applying information found in a responsible way.
Main point 2: Technology needs to be a larger part of any learning method.
A. Having students collaborate and do work online.
B. Using technology to engage students rather than entertaining them.

3. The networked student needs a teacher to help guide them and find reliable resources . I think using the web is a good way to find information and use it for research . but to me there are some thing's I would rather look up in book. I didn't know the extent of how much you could find on the internet. I haven't heard of iTunes U. I find that very interesting. Something like that could be useful.

4. The thesis of the video customizing her teaching methods for the individual student. Her methods seem to have a positive outcome. Some students will benefit from it and some wont. I would be one of those who wouldn't, I would rather have pen and paper to take notes with.

5. Elementary is leading the race. They have more resources like their new mac books. They have accomplished more than we have. It seems they have a better understanding of how to use their new technology. I wouldn't be leading the race because I rarely use my laptop for anything other than doing my homework. I don't care to spend all my time on a computer or tablet. I don't create movies, use photo shop or create audio for anything.

6.  I would provide more hands on experiences, and opportunities for students to get actively involved. I think group projects are always a good idea. it gives students the chance to interact with others, to be a team player and contribute to the project. Coaching the material instead of teaching it is looking at it from another view point. The students might better understand what they are learning. I would also try to provide positive and constructive feedback in my teaching to let the students know or let the class know how well another student is doing.                                                                                                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, I totally agree with you. Using the web is a good way to research things not to mention much easier with today's technology ,but there are limitations. I still think the book should be something you use in a classroom no matter how easy and reliable the internet sources are. I enjoyed reading your responses to the other videos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to reference the videos/resources you are using. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete