Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Blog Post 7

My strengths and weaknesses:
 I don't think I have any strengths with project based learning. I didn't do any project based learning through school. I also haven't had an opportunity to use it. My only strength could be that I don't have a problem doing research, so doing research for finding projects for a class wouldn't be that much of a problem. I cant see myself using project based learning as a way of instruction as a physical education teacher.

My weaknesses would be that I have never used the project based learning method. I don't have experience with it at all. Second would be how to go about starting project based learning in the classroom. Another weakness would be that I don't care too much for technology in the classroom, I'm more traditional. I would probably be completely unprepared for this type of classroom instruction.

What I learned from the videos:

Kindergarteners are using iMovie trailers, they write the scripts and create their own book trailers. The students make the project their own. They have a better understanding of how to use this technology better than college students it seems. The Alabama virtual library is free to anyone. It is a way to teach your students basic research methods.  You can log on to it at any campus or get a library card at any library.

Using technology in the classroom changes the way of learning. The students teach the students, and the students even teach the teachers. With technology in the classroom everyone becomes a learner including the teacher.

Over the span of one year using ipads in schools show benefits. They allow the students to take  "virtual" field trips. It is a different way to look at course material. There are many apps for spelling. Ipads can even be used by special education students who have trouble speaking. They believe having technology in the classroom will get the students more engaged in the lessons.

10 reasons to use technology in teaching: Reason number one is that students enjoy using new technology and it gets them more involved in learning. Number two, it engages the four key components to learning. They are; active engagement , group involvement, frequent interaction and feedback, and connection to real world experts. The third reason to use technology in education is professional development. Using such technology the students develop valuable skills. Another reason to use technology is that it makes life easier for teachers. Like putting test online so the students can get immediate feedback. It also improves test scores. Technology in the classroom can also help students with lower attention spans by mixing up the learning process. It also helps remove obstacles such as using amplivox to amplify the lecture for students with hearing problems.

Links:
Using imovie and Alabama virtual library
We all become learners
iPads in the classroom
Top 10 reasons to use technology in education
ipadin-classroom jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen,
    I agree with you in the fact that I don't recall the use of any Project Based Learning methods being used while I was in school. Although it was a long time ago when I attended elementary school. However I do have children in elementary school and their teachers are using this form of teaching in their lessons. After reading your comment about not using PBL as a physical education educator, I began to really brainstorm on how it could be used in that setting. I couldn't think of any ideas but I bet there are some very interesting ideas out there where it could be used even in physical education. I very surprised to hear that you " don't care for technology in the classroom". It seems like in the world we live in today being a "traditional" teacher without the use of technology in the classroom is unacceptable. But maybe since you are going into Physical Education this will not be a problem for you in your career.

    I definitely agree with you that it seems that these, kindergarten students are doing a better job with book trailers than us as college students. I think my favorite part of this weeks resources was the "10 reasons to use technology in the classroom", glad you included that in your blog post. Nice post hope, you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete